Wednesday 19 June 2013

Adventures in the Netherlands


I had a week in Holland a couple of weeks ago, and I thought I might share a few photos with you. I took the ferry across, and even managed to get up onto the bridge for 20 minutes to have a chat with the 2nd Officer and the Master which was great.

Stena Britannica

Maersk Tukang

Looking back at Harwich and Felixstowe

Harwich Haven Pilot Boat passing our stern

Harwich Haven Pilot Boat passing on our starboard side

Me and the 2nd Officer on the bridge

Phone GPS doesn't work very well 20 metres above sea level. This was taken an hour after departure. The whole trip is about 6 hours long

Mooring Operations

Note the mooring line going under the raised section of deck



The following pictures are from the National Maritime Museum in Rotterdam. It's well worth a visit if you get the chance. Entry is only 7,50€.


The Mataro model dates from the early 15th Century and is the oldest ship model in Western Europe. It is believed to originate from a chapel in the village of Mataro on the caost of Barcelona. Careful scientific investigation of this world-famous object has yielded a wealth of insight into Western European shipbuiling in the late middle ages.

Emma Maersk

 Maersk Inverness

Model of the monument to Merchant Seafarers lost in World War Two

The actual monument

I can't actually remember the title or subject of this painting, I just thought it was worth sharing

I must confess a slight love of tall ships
The pirate exhibition had Lego pirates on the ship models. Absolute genius
  
More cut-throat pirates

Maersk head office for Rotterdam. Unfortunately I didn't have an appointment...



 My friend's Aunt and Uncle have a 35' steel ketch in Zeeland, so naturally a day out on the water was called for


My friend's Uncle bought this boat as just a steel hull and built everything apart from the rigging himself from scratch

There are lots of these bridges all over Holland. Even fairly major roads and one or two railway bridges were like this, although I'm not sure the rail bridge lifts anymore

The wind in the morning was pathetic, but by the afternoon we had a good steady blow, and spent the rest of the day with a 30 degree heel




Eventually it was time to come home. The ferry trip back was very sedate. Unfortunately I missed out on getting a bridge visit as I left it a bit too late and we were approaching land again. I managed to finish my book instead though: The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. It's well worth a read if you find a copy.



Maersk Saigon
Cosco Excellence

No comments:

Post a Comment